The best flatbread pizza is on that is low in calories and carbs, easy, cheap and very delicious. Let me set the stage. You just got home from working a 8 hour day. The last thing on you mind is cooking. You reach for the phone to call Donatos, Pizza Hut or some other famous pizza chain that delivers in 30 minutes or less.
The best flatbread pizza is one that tastes amazing but will not pack on the pounds. This recipe takes less than 30 minutes to prepare, easy on the wallet and won’t sabotage your diet.
Who doesn’t love pizza? Most of us do. Some people like plain cheese pizza, others like pepperoni and some like deluxe. The choices are endless. for this recipe, we chose to use salami, pepperoni and banana peppers.
Best Flatbread pizza crust
The key to low carb pizza lies in the crust. Traditional pizza is made from flour, yeast, sugar, salt and a few other ingredients. The best flatbread pizza recipe uses a low carb, low calorie Flatout flatbread base. The crust is 14 g of carbohydrates and 90 calories per serving.
To start, you’ll need to lightly brown the crust. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat the flatbread with olive oil cooking spray. Place flatbread onto a cooking sheet and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly brown.
How to make the best flatbread pizza
Most store bought pizza sauce is low in calories and carbohydrates. The sauce we used is 80 calories and 10 carbohydrates for the entire pizza. Apply sauce with a large spoon and spread out in circles until you reach about a 1/4 inch from the edge.
Toppings can make or break any pie. In my opinion, the best flatbread pizza is one that keeps it simple. Our pizza is made with pepperoni and salami but your pizza can be modified to your liking. Just keep in mind that the carb and calorie counts will vary. 10 pepperoni slices comes to 100 calories or you can opt for turkey pepperoni which is about 70 calories for 17 slices and 5 slices of salami is around 200 calories. Both have almost no carbohydrates. Apply pepperoni and salami in a clockwise direction, leaving adequate space in between each slice. Work your way to the center.
6 banana peppers is about 5 calories and less than .5 g carbohydrate.
Apply the cheese
This is the best part but don’t get carried away. You can save on calories by using a partial skim milk based mozzarella cheese. Our recipe has 72 calories per ounce and 1 g of carbohydrate. Sprinkle cheese onto the flatbread crust while working your way out toward the edges. Add banana peppers or an additional item or spices on top of cheese.
Finish the best flatbread pizza
Place the finished pizza on a cooking sheet and place it in the oven at 400 degrees. The cooking process takes about 4 to 5 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted. Be sure not to overcook as the crust will turn dark and extremely crispy quick. Once cheese is fully melted, pull from oven and allow to cool for 4 to 5 minutes. Cut pizza with a traditional pizza cutter.
- 1 coating of olive oil cooking spray on crust
- 1 Flatout flatbread
- ½ cup of pizza sauce
- 1 ounce of partially skim milk mozzarella
- 12 slices of turkey pepperoni
- 5 slices of salami
- 6 banana peppers
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Apply a coating of olive oil cooking spray to the flatbread.
- Lightly brown the flatbread for 4 to 5 minutes on a cooking sheet. Be sure not to overcook.
- With a large spoon, spread pizza sauce in a circular motion to about a ¼ inch from the edge.
- Place pepperoni and salami slices in a clockwise direction and work towards the center.
- Apply cheese over the sauce, turkey pepperoni and salami.
- Add banana peppers and any additional toppings.
- Place the flatbread pizza back onto the cooking sheet and cook at 400 degrees for 4 to 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Allow pizza to cool for 4 to 5 minutes.