If you are a fan of delicious soft pretzels like those ones at the mall, you will be happy to know that these can be made easily with simple ingredients.
These homemade soft pretzels are so fluffy and buttery…the very epitome of snack food perfection.
Homemade Soft Pretzel Recipe Inspiration
Our house is a lot like many others in that there are multiple little mouths to feed. If your kids are like ours, they go through snacks in no time.
These tasty homemade pretzels can be made in large batches and in a relatively short period of time.
Our kids can’t get enough of them. Our smallest child is three. I recently made a batch and placed them on the table to cool.
I was only gone for a split second. When I came back, he was already feasting on one of them.
One of my fondest memories as a child was going to the local mall with my parents. The mall in our town had an Aunt Annies pretzel shop. I still remember eating those amazing pretzels with my parents.
This Soft Pretzel Recipe is Easy to Make
Another nice benefit to making soft pretzels is how easy and quickly you can start snacking on them.
The basic ingredients consist of:
- Sour Cream
Homemade Soft Pretzels Recipe
These delicious soft pretzels are so good and make an amazing snack for the kids.
Pretzel Dough Ingredients
- 1 packet dry active yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 1/2 cups flour (all purpose)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter (unsalted and melted)
Pretzel Bath Ingredients
- 8 cups of water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Pretzel Topping Ingredients
- 2 tbsp butter (unsalted and melted)
- Sea Salt
Pretzel Dough Instructions
1) Combine milk, sugar, and yeast into a large mixing bowl. Let rest for 10 minutes to allow the yeast to activate.
2) Combine sour cream, salt, and butter and begin mixing. If you have a stand mixer use it or mix by hand.
3) Begin incorporating flour 1 cup at a time until the dough forms a ball. The mixture should be slightly sticky. If it is too sticky, add extra flour until the consistency is right.
4) Tear a large sheet of parchment paper and set on a flat surface. Dust the surface with a handful of flour and place the dough on the parchment. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes and return to the bowl. Cover the bowl with a moist towel for 10 minutes.
Instructions for Cutting the Pretzel Dough
1) On a fresh clean parchment paper sheet, place the dough ball and flatten with your hand. Make sure to keep a round circle shape. Cut into 8 equal pieces.
2) Using both your hands. Roll the dough out into a long cylindrical shape. The dough should be about 18 to 20 inches.
3) Take both ends of the dough and form a circle with a slight overlap on both ends. Grab both ends and connect to the other side of the circle to form the classic soft pretzel shape.
1) Combine all ingredients into a large boiling pan. The oil will help prevent boil overs.
2) Place a long sheet of parchment paper on a large flat baking pan and spray with olive oil or Pam cooking spray.
3) Set the pan to high heat and allow time for a light boil.
4) Place each formed pretzel into the boiling water for approximately 20 to 25 seconds. Remove and set on a baking pan until all pretzels have been boiled.
5) Brush melted butter on all of the pretzels and sprinkle with sea salt.
Soft Pretzel Baking Instructions
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Bake for approximately 12 -14 minutes or until lightly brown.
Final Thoughts on Our Homemade Soft Pretzel Recipe
We really enjoyed making these soft pretzels. If you like this recipe, we would love to hear from you in the comment section below.
Also…sharing is caring! Please share this recipe on social media for your friends and family to enjoy 🙂
Ciao for now!