Have you ever wondered how to make rotisserie chicken at home? Rotisserie chicken is very healthy, tender, juicy and easy to make.
Maybe you are saying to yourself, “Why bother? Isn’t it too much work? This easy healthy chicken recipe has very few ingredients and is so simple to prepare.
What if Da Vinci had said that before painting the Mona Lisa or The Last Supper?
…Pun definitely intended. Pardon me.
This honey chicken recipe is my husband’s Mona Lisa, so you should check it out!
How to Prepare a Rotisserie Chicken
This easy healthy chicken recipe was prepared in a Hamilton Beach Convection Oven with a rotisserie insert, but you could also roast the chicken in a roasting pan if you do not have access to a rotisserie.
My husband used a lemon and white wine-based marinade on this whole chicken and it was absolutely fantastic. If you don’t have or want a convection oven, you can also purchase a motorized rotisserie kit for your outdoor grill.
Rotisserie Chicken Rub
The key to an easy, healthy chicken recipe is to minimize the unwanted high calorie or carbohydrate ingredients. The whole chicken is covered with honey then coated in a flavorful dry rub.
A sweet hint of brown sugar permeates through the entire bird. It is like an explosion on your taste buds.
This is a simple chicken recipe that is great for a barbecue or a family get together. Last weekend we devoured the succulent chicken as we were basking in the mid-western sun at our patio table.
We hope you enjoy this article on how to make rotisserie chicken at home. This easy, healthy chicken recipe with few ingredients pairs nicely with a vegetable medley.
The chicken is low in calories and carbohydrates. Perfect for those who prefer to shed pounds during the summertime.
How to Make Rotisserie Chicken at Home in a Convection Oven
Chicken rotisserie marinade
- 4+ pound Whole chicken
- .5 bottle lemon juice
- .25 cup white wine
- .25 cup extra virgin olive oil
Chicken rotisserie rub
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Clean cavity of whole chicken, wash and pat dry.
- Combine all marinade ingredients and mix.
- Pour into a large freezer bag and add the whole chicken.
- Refrigerate for 4-6 hours.
- Remove chicken from the marinade.
- Melt the butter and honey in the microwave and mix.
- Evenly brush the butter and honey mixture on and inside the chicken.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients and apply it to the entire chicken.
- Tuck wings underneath chicken and truss the legs together with twine.
- Run rotisserie rod through the cavity of chicken and insert the rotisserie forks into the skin of the chicken.
- At 350 degrees F, a whole chicken takes about 20 to 30 minutes per pound to cook.
- Therefore, a 4-pound chicken should take 1:20 – 2 hours to cook.
- Use a meat thermometer to test the internal temperature.
When chicken reaches 175 to 180 degree F, it is done.