I love all kinds of shrimp. Pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp… Just like Bubba from Forrest Gump. I’m also a sucker for ripe avocados.
So why not combine both? And just to get crazy, let’s add a bit of quinoa for good measure.
What is quinoa
Quinoa is a seed that packs lots of protein and is often used as an alternative to rice.
How to cook quinoa
Before cooking be sure to wash the quinoa under water and drain. Boil quinoa using a 2:1 ratio. 2 cups of liquid (water or other) to 1 cup of uncooked quinoa. From a boil, it usually takes between 15 to 20 minutes to cook thoroughly. The quinoa is done when the seed becomes almost transparent and soft. Set quinoa off to the side to cool.
Cooking shrimp is easy. In this recipe, I like to use small, peeled and deveined shrimp. A 12 oz bag will do. Saute the shrimp in a large skillet with black pepper, cayenne pepper and salt. The shrimp will become a whitish pale color when it’s fully cooked.
Here is a quick healthy meal that combines the great taste of shrimp with avocado and quinoa. Best of all, its quick and easy to make.
Shrimp with Avocado Served Over Quinoa
Sour Cream Cilantro Sauce 1/2 cup sour cream 2 Tbsp coconut milk 2 squirts of liquid steavia 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro 1/4 tsp sea salt 2 Tbsp lime juice Salt to taste
- 12 medium shrimp pealed and de-veined (no tails)
- 1 cup golden quinoa
- 1 avocado cubed
- 1/2 diced red pepper
- 1/2 diced green pepper
- 1/2 diced red onion
- 2 diced green onion stalks
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse quinoa under water and then boil on high heat. Stir quinoa repeatedly.
- Qunioa is done when it becomes translucent. About 15 minutes.
- For Sour Cream Cilantro Sauce, Combine all ingredients into a bowl and stir. Set to the side.
- Spray skillet with olive oil and place on a medium heat stove.
- Add garlic and red and green onion to skillet.
- Add cumin, red and green peppers.
- Heat until ingredients soften.
- Add shrimp and salt and pepper
- In a bowl or plate, scoop desired amount of quinoa. Top with veggie mix and then shrimp. Add avocados to top layer and drizzle with Sour Cream Cilantro Sauce.