Healthy spaghetti squash casserole? Low calorie and low carb? Is there such a thing?Squash and spaghetti do mix. If you’re like me, you do love a good pasta meal. Just because you’re trying to eat right doesn’t mean you have to give up the foods you love entirely.
What is spaghetti squash casserole?
Spaghetti squash is a stringy vegetable that can be used as an alternative to traditional pasta noodles. If you are counting carbs or calories, the savings can be substantial.
Spaghetti squash preparation
There are several ways to prepare spaghetti squash, I will try to cover the most common.
How to cut a spaghetti squash
Spaghetti squash contains lots of seeds. It is very similar to a pumpkin. In fact, you can save the seeds and roast them later for the kids. The first thing you will need to do is halve the spaghetti squash to make it softer and so you can remove the seeds. Before you begin halving, cut a straight line into the outer portion of the squash so that it can lay flat on the cutting board. Once it lays flat, begin cutting in a straight line on the long side of the squash. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon from both halves.
How long to bake spaghetti squash casserole?
Preheat the oven at 375 degrees. Place both pieces, strings facing up on a cooking sheet or flat pan. Cook for 40 to 50 minutes or until soft. Scoop out the contents of both halves with a spoon into a bowl and set aside.
Optional microwave spaghetti squash
Follow same directions above with removal of seeds. In a large microwave safe container, fill with about an inch of water. Place squash face down and cook for 15 minutes or until soft.
How long to boil spaghetti squash
In a large pot fill with enough water to cover both halves of the squash. Turn burner to hot and wait for water to boil. Place squash in boiling water and cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until soft.
Here is a great recipe for spaghetti squash that will keep your family asking for seconds. Not only is is it delicious, it is nutritious as well.
Low Calorie and Low Carb Spaghetti Squash
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 spaghetti squash (halved length and seeded)
- 1 summer squash cubed
- 1 zucchini squash cubed
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 red onion (chopped)
- 1 16- OZ package of ground turkey
- 1 bottle of favorite pasta sauce
- 3/4 cup crumbled Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Halve the squash lengthwise and scoop out the seeds for both halves.
- Boil squash on high for 10 to 15 minutes or until soft. Dump hot water and replace with cold.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small nonstick skillet at medium temperature.
- Brown turkey meat and out into strainer to drain access liquid.
- Heat oil in a skillet at medium temperature and add summer squash, zucchini,peppers, red onion and garlic.
- With a spoon, scoop out the contents of the spaghetti squash into the skillet.
- Add meat back into the pan with the other veggies. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add favorite pasta sauce.